Explore Brooke Walker-Knoblich's paintings on her website
www.PortraitsbyBrooke.com

Monday, January 2, 2012

Musicians of Midtown: New Series Unveiled 2012

Happy new year! I am absolutely thrilled to return to the easel with full force focus on my new body of work. The new series, "Musicians of Midtown," is a collection of ink sketches and oil paintings inspired by the local music makers of Sacramento. I began the series with a sketchbook, "blindly" driving the pen across the paper to mimic the pitching of notes and spontaneous movements of the performers.




The challenge was to not depend upon sight as the primary visual language, but to create a kind of synesthetic experience of the music. Developing the sketches into paintings, I stood at my easel and wondered what the sound of a plucked string looked like? What color does a particular musical note invoke? Does it have a certain kind of brush stroke or texture?

I listened to bands such as Sister Crayon , Element Brass Band, Exquisite Corps, The Nibblers, Ricky Berger, Clemon Charles, Musical Charis et al. for my inspiration.

While I have tried my best to portray the incredible diversity that makes the Sacramento music scene so unique, it is inevitable that many musicians will not be included. For the show at Gallery 2110 I decided to limit the pieces to include only musicians that live in Sacramento. The collection could easily have doubled if I included the myriad international talent Sacramento draws to its stages. But the decision also was rooted in a desire to honor the artists that are living in our midst, right here in our local community, that so desperately deserve our support.

I hope you will all be able to make it to the opening reception!


Thursday, February 9th from 6-8pm at Gallery 2110/Sacramento Art Complex. Located at 2110 K Street (btwn 22nd and 21st streets) in Sacramento, CA. (916) 476-5500 *I will also be at the gallery for the 2nd Saturday artwalk from 6-9pm.

The gallery has asked me to keep most of the "Musicians of Midtown" private for a true unveiling in February. However, you may see a sneak peek of one of the paintings in process in a short film here!

Brooke Walker-Knoblich from Weston Walker on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment